Horizon 2020 Call for Projects on Climate Services for Africa
In support to the Paris Agreement, HORIZON 2020 is an 80 b€ European Union Research and Innovation programme. H2020 has launched a call for projects to address climate services in Africa.
All information on the call
As climatic changes increasingly place populations under pressure, human beings are already adapting. However, less developed countries – particularly in Africa – are often less resilient to climate change and require the deployment of appropriate support to adaptation, including in the form of bespoke climate services tailored to users' needs.
There is some evidence that climate change may already be playing a role in shaping population migration patterns around the world (e.g. Africa to Europe). It is important to make use of the wealth of available socio-economic and geophysical data to better understand these patterns in order to develop appropriate policy responses.
Hence the topic of this call, Human dynamics of climate change, foreseen to be launched next November 2018 by the European Commission DG REsearch, under the reference H2020-LC-CLA-2018-2019-2020.
The proposed actions
- Should exploit new, relevant climate data made available by Copernicus and other relevant sources (such as GEOSS) and create dedicated climate services for Africa for at least two of the following sectors: water, energy, land use, health and infrastructure.
- Should develop and deliver tools/applications which demonstrate clear end-user engagement, consultation and participation, and which enhance the planning and implementation of climate adaptation strategies in Africa.
- Should consider activities addressed by other initiatives such as the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS), Copernicus, and development cooperation activities, and provide added value. Actions should further consider the EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership on Climate Change and Sustainable Energy
Important additional information
- The Specific eligibility requirement are: (at least) 3 participants from 3 different MS and associated countries + at least 3 participants from 2 different African countries;
- An Info day for the calls 2019 will be organised in Brussels on 11-12 September 2018 https://ec.europa.eu/easme/en/2018-information-day-calls-2019, and also web-streamed (the video will remain public/accessible);
- The Online submission system, template for proposal submission, are available at the flowing link: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/call_ptef/pt/2018-2020/h2020-call-pt-ria-ia-2018-20_en.pdf (first stage proposal template p.40);
- A dedicated workshop is planned on 10th-11th January 2019 bringing African and European scientists from academia and research institutes together for responding to the call. SAVE THIS DATE!
For further information please contact:
National Contact Points (NCP) http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal4/desktop/en/support/national_contact_points.html> - contact your NCP for further assistance in your national language(s). Research Inquiry Service<http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?lg=en&pg=enquiries> – ask questions about any aspect of European research in general and the EU Research Framework Programmes in particular.
Ms Alessia Pietrosanti: email@example.com
About Horizon 2020
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020). It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market.
More information: https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/
Courtesy of Mme Meropi PANELLI, EC DevCo