GMES and Africa: The 1st Africa Women in EO Workshop was held on 16-18 March in Cotonou - Benin
|16-18 March 2022, the Women in GMES and Africa 1st Workshop|
- To foster dialogue and networking between African women evolving in EO-related fields by gathering representatives of these women working in different areas of activity (public institutions, private sector, academia…)
- To give them the opportunity to highlight their needs in terms of EO science, Technology, Education and employment.
- To create the group “Women in GMES & Africa” and to define a roadmap for its activities towards gender equality in education and career in the Earth observation field in Africa.
- Capitalize on the use of social media to promote the activities of the network.
- Continuous training for women to help them catch up where they are lagging behind.
- Creation of relevant EO tools and products that can foster girls’ participation.
- Creation of work place environments in support of motherhood, e.g., baby-sitting, etc.
- Cross fertilization of ideas and experience among women.
- Each member of the Women in GMES and Africa network to adopt at least one girl for mentoring to create a chain of sustainability in women participation.
- Financial solutions to be provided to help women earn good income through EO activities.
- Governments and companies to employ more women.
- More visibility for women models in space and EO to attract younger ones.
- The availability of data must be strengthened with the provision of access for girls.
- election of 12 members from the 5 regions plus the diaspora.
- election of the leadership, the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Deputy Secretary.
- List of the participants
- Inaugural report
- The Agenda 2063, https://au.int/en/agenda2063/overview
- Learn more about the GMES and Africa Program's commitments http://gmes4africa.blogspot.com/2022/02/day-of-women-and-girls-in-science-gmes-reply.html
- The Women in Copernicus, https://womenincopernicus.eu/
|Group photo of the1st Workshop of The Women in GMES and Africa|
|Workgroup 1, the 1st Workshop of The Women in GMES and Africa|
|Workgroup 2, the 1st Workshop of The Women in GMES and Africa|
ABOUT GMES AND AFRICA
Having the same rational than the European Copernicus Program, GMES and Africa was devised to support African organizations, policy-makers and practitioners by supplying Earth Observation data, products, and services, to develop relevant operational and actionable information, to contribute to a better and sustainable management of natural resources while tackling climate change.