Copernicus: On 20/04, Launch of the Knowledge Centre on Earth Observation
The European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) and the DG for Defence Industry and Space (DG DEFIS) as partners will launch the KCEO on 20 April 2021
Information collected from (European) satellites and sensors provide unique insights on changes to, and the current state of activity on Earth.
The EU’s Copernicus Programme translates this information into data, statistics and maps that inform policy goals, foster innovation and help safeguard our planet. While beneficial to almost every policy sector, this vast amount of data can overwhelm users unable to quickly identify the most relevant information for their needs.
The Knowledge Centre on Earth Observation (KCEO) will serve as a focal point directing policy users to the most useful and current products for their individual needs. It will also assess the fitness-for-purpose of existing products with respect to these needs, and thus identify gaps to be considered in the evolution of the Programme.
It is also expected that the KCEO will foster uptake and innovation with among others objectives:
- The KCEO will focus on co-development with the user policy Directorate Generals (EU-DGs) and involving the technical partners in Copernicus, to establish concrete need for policy relevant products and services and identify priorities for research and development.
- Partnership between the KCEO and DGs will galvanize efforts to increase user uptake across Europe’s scientific and policy circles. This community will leverage their diverse perspectives to increase user uptake through “deep dive” assessments that identify political priorities in need of intervention.
- The KCEO will also continuously scan for emerging research and development priorities that would improve the accessibility, usefulness and variety of EO data, defining a long-term strategy for research and innovation of EO products and services
- The KCEO will support better regulation and increase the usefulness of data public policy purposes
The KCEO launch event will include interventions by:
- Frans Timmermans - Executive Vice-President for the European Green Deal
- Mariya Gabriel - Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth
- Thierry Breton - Commissioner for Internal Market
- Manuel Heitor - Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education (Portugal)
Source Copernicus Observer, 15/04/2021